Tuesday 28 June 2011

5 Summer Staples: Show Some Skin with These Body Care Basics

Fri, 06/24/2011 by Karen | Posted in: Beauty Tips, Drugstore Beauty Finds, Skin Care

Summer’s the season to show off a little skin, and to this I roar “Hallelujah!” After what felt like the longest, wettest, dreariest winter and spring in this century so far, I’m beyond ready to finally free myself from my cotton/polyester oppressors. So long, long pants, wool socks and turtleneck sweaters. Peace!

Summers in this part of Northern California can get pretty hot, but before I venture out in a summer dress or park my posterior poolside in a swimsuit, I like to do a bit of body beauty prep first (don’t want my hairy sasquatch legs to frighten the neighborhood kids, ya know?). For this I turn to body care basics like the fab five listed below.

Furry girl says what? This vorpal gift to hairy women everywhere hacks away hair like a machete cuts through jungle. The Gillette Venus Embrace ($12 for a starter kit that includes the razor, a shower pod/case and two spare cartridges; additional cartridges are sold separately) takes care of the hair on my legs, lady parts, ‘pits and toes (don’t front like you don’t know what I’m talking about :) ), and it does it with five blades.

FIVE BLADES!

You’d think that maybe four blades would have been enough, but no. Turns out that five is the new four.

This mighty multi-bladed monster gives this mini-Chewbacca the closest shave of her life. When I use it, not only does my skin feel smoother than it does after I use other razors, but the Venus shaves so close that I find I don’t have to shave as often.

Banana Boat Ultra Defense SPF 30

In my capacity as Tabs’ assistant/human servant, I have to be available at a moment’s notice, which means I don’t always have time to spend rubbing in sunscreen from head to toe.

When time is of the essence, particularly in summer, I like to have a good waterproof aerosol spray, and Banana Boat Ultra Defense Continuous Spray Sunblock ($10) is my current fave.

Just spritz on arms, legs and any other exposed parts, massage it in a little, and you’re done. It offers broad-spectrum protection against UVA/UVB rays and comes in three varying levels of SPF — 30, 50 and 85. It’s quick to dry and resists water like most cats incredibly well, ya know, just in case a shirtless Ryan Reynolds stops by to ask if you want to go swimming (I DO!).

Now that my knees, elbows and heels have come out to play, the rough, scaly business that’s been going on all winter just isn’t gonna fly. Pacifica’s Kona Coffee & Sugar Detox Whole Body Scrub ($28) buffs away my scaly skin with a mix of granulated sugar and powdered coffee seed. Then, safflower, soybean and coconut oils moisturize the dry bits to keep the scales away. Plus, the yummy dark chocolate coffee scent smells good enough to eat!

How about a good drugstore option? I think Burt’s Bees $13 Cranberry & Pomegranate also works great.

Who says Vampire Edward is the only one who gets to sparkle in sunlight? When I’m wearing a dress that shows off my shoulders or legs, I like to reach for a body cream with shimmer, like Pacifica’s line of Coconut Crushed Pearl Body Butters. The Luminizing one adds a silvery shimmer, while the Bronzing one gives a golden glow.

You can snag both, along with a sample size of the Kona Coffee & Sugar Scrub mentioned above, as well as a lip balm, in the Pacifica Island Glow Beautiful Body Kit for $24. Or, buy the tubes separately in either a sample size for $7, or a full-size tube for $24.

Body acne is nowhere near as much fun as eating frozen yogurt or hanging out by the pool, but it happens to the best of us. In summer, since I like to wear shirts that show off my back, I regularly shower with a body wash designed to treat acne.

Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash in Pink Grapefruit ($8) contains naturally-derived grapefruit extract and salicylic acid (2%). The tangy grapefruit scent perks me up in the morning, too.

Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,

Karen

Full Disclosure: The products in this entry were provided by the manufacturer for consideration. For information about my posting policy, please see my Disclaimer.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

No comments:

Post a Comment